Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Exhibit: Digital Edge Learning Interchange

Summary::
The Digital Edge Learning Interchange is an online resource that features National Board Certified Teachers in exhibits of exemplary teaching. This exhibit includes a wide variety of lesson plans that incorporate technology into the classroom. Each exhibit has a video clip that shows examples of students work, assessment tools and resources the teacher used. As I exploring the website I came across the "Circle, Stars, and Candy Bars" exhibit. In this exhibit a second and third grade teacher in North Carolina using the lesson, "Circle, Stars and Candy Bars" to teach multiplication. Through a series of games, hands on activities and an internet web quest students increased their knowledge of multiplication facts. In another exhibit, "Brown Bear and Beyond with Pre-K", a teacher from florida used the books, Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Polar Bear Polar Bear, to stimulate conversation and questions with the help of an iMovie. The teacher made a class book and an iMovie that helped keep students engaged in learning. Overall, The Digital Edge Learning Interchange is a great online resource to see and read about great lesson plans.

Reflection::
As a future teacher I find it overwhelming, yet exciting when I think about having to write and create lesson plans. However, when I visit websites, hear about or read great lesson plans, such as the ones seen on Digital Edge Learning Interchange, I can't help but be excited to teach. I explored so many great and effective teaching strategies through the exhibits on this website. I really liked how creative teachers were and how they used technology in their lessons.  I especially liked how each teacher had an educational goal and attached meaning and a purpose to it. This is a great online resource and I will probably visit it more in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed this web-site! I thought that it was a great resource to see new creative and meaningful ways that teachers are integrating technology into their instructional plans. I like the idea of using technology not only to do things such as create PowerPoint presentations but also to explore principles such as math. I liked that each of the lessons posted on the digital edge are thoroughly explained and it is clear that they were effective. It is nice to see ways to integrate technology into any content area and for a variety of grade levels in meaningful ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the creativity was amazing! The teachers did such a great job using technology in their classroom lessons. I suppose that is why they are nationally certified. I also saw the "stars, circles, and candy bars" exhibit and they did a wonderful job using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, this website is a goldmine! Incorporating effective technology into my lesson plans is a technique that I feel that I will struggle with. I can see myself as a teacher that has the kids do a powerpoint slide just because. I will deffinitely study this website so that I can gather some great ideas to effectively incorporate technology into my classroom. Great insights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you that it seems overwhelming at times to to think about creating so many lesson plans. When I visit these websites and hear different ideas it just makes me want to jump into a classroom now so I dont forget about all the ideas. I plan on using technology in my classroom and I only hope that when I get out of school I will be able to be just as creative as some of these teachers from the digital edge program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you about feeling overwhelmed but also excited when you think about all the future lessons, I think about that all the time. So many possibilities! I think it is great though to see that there are so many different resources, like this one, that help to give us great ideas of how to go about different lessons. It is great that teachers all want to share so much with each other! The video clips you talked about are great too, because you can actually see what they are talking about, rather than just read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really agreed with your thoughts on the learning exchange site- I too find the thought of writing lesson plans to be quite daunting but I am constantly amazed at how creative teachers can be with their plans and activities. I think technology is an area that interests many students and therefore can be used to motivate even the most difficult of students.

    ReplyDelete