Thursday, May 14, 2009

Technology Tools for Assessment and Evaluation

Technology Tools for Assessment and Evaluation
By: LeAnne Robinson, Joanne Carney, and Tim Keiper
Summary:
In the article, Technology Tools for Assessment and Evaluation, the authors wrote about the three step process educators refer to as The Assessment Decision-Making process. The three steps are assessment, analysis and evaluation. Assessment is the process of collecting data. “There are many tools for assessment teachers can use.” The authors stated. “For example, tests, performances, curriculum based measures and rubrics. In order for the data collected in assessment to have meaning teachers must understand step two, analysis. Analysis is the process of organizing the data into a significant and interpretable form.” According to the authors, “computer technologies can assist us with analysis by providing tools for graphic or numerical display of information, but a good evaluation must ultimately be done by a human.” Evaluation is the process of making decision making with the use of good judgment. Evaluation can be described as formative or summative depending how the data, collected through assessment, is being used. According to the authors, “Formative evaluations are given when student performance data is used to make on-going decisions to improve student learning. Formative assessments are evaluations of individual student progress that are used to support learning. They inform teacher decisions about instruction.” Summative evaluations, on the other hand, are made to make definitive decisions about individuals.
There are many ways technology tools support the Assessment Decision-making process. The authors created a taxonomy that categorizes the tools based on their primary functional attributes. The seven main tool categorizes are as follows: Producing and creating measures, graphing, grading and reporting, measuring specific skills and competencies-criterion referenced assessment, determining grade level performance and making normative comparisons, ongoing progress monitoring, situated performance assessment and data warehousing and aggregation. One of the main tool categories, Production and creation, the authors said, “will allow teachers to create tests and other measures. An example is a simple word processing program. Teachers can make multiple-choice tests, true false, matching, timed tests, etc.” Another tool, “Graphing, grading and reporting,” the authors stated, “are basic yet functional assessment tools. Examples of this would be Excel programs. Excel is capable of charting and graphing information. PowerPoint and Word programs also have built in graphing programs. Teachers can also make grade books, keep track of assignments and assign grades at specific reporting periods.” Measuring Specific Skills and Competencies-Criterion Referenced Assessment tools can be found in many educational programs that have built in assessment features. An example, the authors gave, would be a “Start to Finish books that are developed specifically for intermediate through high school students who read below grade level. Another example is a textbook publisher.” Another category, “Determining Grade Level Performance and Making Normative Comparisons are for teachers who want to know how a particular student performs at grade level in math, reading, or other academic areas. One example would be the Woodcock Johnson Revised III test.” Ongoing Progress Monitoring involves CBE’s and CBM’s tools, such as the online or digital programs: Intervention Central, DIBELS, Aimsweb. “Situated Performance Assessment is where students are asked to perform a specified task using technology rather than take a more traditional paper/pencil test.” The authors explained. “Teachers give feedback during the task and evaluate students work based upon previous established criteria given in a rubric. Some of those tools include, Interactive task and simulations and e-portfolios. The Interactive tasks and simulations promote the using of higher order thinking.” Some examples of this would be a geographic information system which is an overlay of a series of maps. Another example is web-based inquiry projects that ask students to come up with their own course appropriate project that would allow students to display inquiry skills. E-portfolios, as described by the authors use digital technology to collect and organize portfolio projects in many different types of media, for instance, audio, video, graphics, etc.) Lastly, the authors explained Data Warehousing and Aggregation, which is when multiple assessments or multiple databases are combined to provide a collection of achievement scores. Data Warehouse programs have been created to help schools organize their data and measures.
In conclusion there are many different functions of assessment and tools that can be used to have students display their knowledge on specific subjects. The authors believe, how information is gathered, organized and presented can have a huge impact on the quality of any following decisions. Assessment technologies provide many more options for the creation and use of assessment measures.
Synthesis:
This article was very interesting. It has made me aware of the many different ways a teacher can assess her students on various subjects. I think the e-portfolios are great ideas along with the web-based project inquiry project. I love projects that allow me to be creative in my work. I firmly believe that students should be allowed to display their knowledge on any subject in any form, whether with or without technology. If bringing technology into the classroom for assessment, analysis and evaluation purposes helps a children to display their knowledge, then I am all for it.

5 comments:

  1. Mia: I also like the e-portfolios and web-based inquiry project. Any project that gets me thinking and allows me to creative I am all for it. I also agree with you comment about allowing students to display their knowledge on any subject in any form, whether with or without technology. Great synthesis! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, really thorough summary and great reflection :) It is great to see all the ways technology can be used in the classroom these days. I feel like this article should have been read in assessment block don't you think? It connects everything beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie,
    This is a great summary and reflection! I also thought that it was great to see the many ways that technology can be integrated into the assessment process. I also think that e-profiles would be a great option for assessment for students. I also agree that it is an essential component of the learning process to allow students to share the work that the have completed. I also see technology as a great tool for not only implementing effective teaching, for assessment, but also to encourage students involvement and as a source of motivation for students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie, I agree with you in that if bringing in technology will help students to better display their knowledge and creativity. Very nice reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie,

    I went through each step and mentioned an example too! I think that was the part that I liked best about the article. It is one thing when people tell you what to do but another when they give you ideas and strategies and examples. I think when we look at the examples of ways to implement differernt assessments, the whole process becomes a lot easier to visualize. I also liked what you said about likeing projects that allow you to be creative. I think we need to remember that not only do kids like to express themselves, but so do adults.

    ReplyDelete